Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year / Week 26

I hope all of you had a safe and fun New Year!  Did you stay up ‘til midnight or crash and burn before the ball dropped?

For the first time in many years, Joe and I had a stay-home kind of night, and it was simply fabulous.  We typically head over to listen to my dad’s band play at various venues, but this year that didn’t seem like a feasible option since I’m knocked up and all.  Baby in my belleh + cigarette smoke + drunk people all over the place = recipe for disaster.  So, little Joe got to spend his first New Year’s Eve safely in my belly while safely at home. 

Earlier in the day, Joe’s parents, brother, and grandmother came over to grill and pop some fireworks.   It was a fun, relaxing day with good food and good company.  When the night finally came, it was just Joe, Anna, and me, and we spent the evening watching old movies (like Twins) and popping the remainder of the pretty fireworks, the ones that light up the sky! 

Anna had ZERO fear of the loud popping noises and even wanted to light some off herself.  Maybe in a few years kid.  Nah, never.  I’m way too paranoid about kids and fireworks.  Hell, I had mini-panic attacks just watching Joe light them off.  Then again, sometimes he is a big kid, so I’m not sure how much safer it was having him light the fireworks vs. Anna. 

Anna hit the hay around 10:30, and Joe and I stayed up ‘til about 1 a.m. which is no small task for this pregnant woman.  I’m usually sawing logs at 8:30 p.m. these days, so I was very proud of myself. 

All I can say is that 2011 is a year that I want to erase out of my book of life (with the exception of getting pregnant).  I was certainly happy to close that chapter and open up 2012.  I actually mooned the year at 11:59 p.m. and opened my arms to embrace the new year.  I’m hopeful that this year has some great things in store for my entire family – it’s much deserved after the crapfest that was 2011.  Onward and upward!

And just for funsies, here are two images that greatly sum up how I feel:


How was your 2011? 
_____________________________________________________

26 weeks and counting…
The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And he's continuing to put on baby fat. He now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel. If you're having a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take about two to three days.

(What the heck is an English hothouse cucumber?)



Images and content courtesy of babycenter.com

How far along: 26 weeks

Total weight gain: +19 total.  This is +1.5 from last week.  Based on the pregnancy weight gain calculator, I’m exactly on track, so I will pat myself on the back now.  If I can reach my back, that is. 

Sleep habits: I’ve had some horrible dreams lately.  Like so vivid that I actually wake up in a panic, and it takes me a while to fall back asleep – even when I watch a few episodes of Golden Girls.  I’m still peeing frequently and expect to continue this wonderful trend for the rest of my pregnancy, so I better just get used to it.  In fact, I know it will get worse.  I think it’s just God’s way of preparing you for the sleepless nights ahead.  I’m kind of terrified of them since I have a toddler who has very sporadic sleep habits lately – some nights she sleeps like a dream, others she’s all up in my business. 

Maternity clothes: Yeah, they’re getting tight.  I have a feeling that I’ll be splurging on some new maternity pants in the near future.  While they still fit comfortably, if I gain any more weight in my butt/thighs/belly, they will move from comfortable territory to “we should make people wear these jeans when we want to torture them to get them to share intelligence about their country” territory.  I told my friends that I was going to embrace my bump this time since I was always trying to cover it up with Anna, but I find myself sinking back into the same mindset where I feel not cute at all and wanting to mask it.  It’s really ridiculous to think that way since bumps are quite beautiful. 

Best moment of the week:  New Year’s Eve was pretty fabulous.  It was fun seeing Anna get so involved with the fireworks and getting to spend the day with family.

Food cravings: Tuna fish.  I know it’s a no-no in large amounts, so I’ve stayed under my weekly allowance.  I’m back on a salty kick this week.  Chips, carrots w/ dip, and the fabulous potato salad that my mother-in-law made for us!

Symptoms: Not many symptoms other than being a hormonal basket case.  My new motto this year is TTBN (think twice, be nice).  I have a tendency to spout off in anger, and I need to learn to reign it in now that my daughter is a perceptive little beast.  It’s hard to keep my hormones in check these days, but if I keep chanting this motto, hopefully I will react less and take a breather before saying anything. 

Movement:  He seems to have finally moved up.  Although I keep saying that, and then the next week he’s using my bladder as a trampoline.  Earlier today I felt movement right near my belly button.  I’ve also been feeling light little hiccups every now and then.  It’s such an odd sensation. 

The nursery:  I added this new category since it’s something I’ll be dealing with over the upcoming weeks/months.  I saw my countdown ticker today and nearly crapped my pants that I’m in double digits now (98 days ‘til my due date).  Two of my best friends on the planet, Beth over at Unskinny Boppy and Kent are coming for a visit mid-January to help me with the nursery and to hang out.  Beth has MAD decorating skills (just check out her blog), and Kent is an amazing seamstress, so I’m really excited to have the extra help in getting everything together for Baby J’s room.

This is what I’ve done thus far:

1) I purchased his bedding – woot!  I just love Craigslist.  Know why?  I got this entire bedding set – crib skirt, bumper, two sheets, pillow, comforter – for $45.  It’s in mint condition.  The retail price is usually $330 for the set, but it’s half off online – it’s still $160+.  I love, love, love deals – especially when I don’t feel like I’m settling.  I love this set and am so happy with my purchase.



Beth and Kent (and Joe) are going to help me paint the nursery and try to put it together as much as we can.  Kent is going to sew the curtains, so I need to finalize the fabric I want to use before they come.  I have less than two weeks – EEEK!

Here’s some of the fabric I’m considering for the curtains although I’m not 100% sold on any of them yet.  I haven’t priced the fabric yet, but I’m going to assume it’s probably pretty pricey and out of my price range.  It wouldn’t make much sense to spend $300 on curtains when I paid $45 for the bedding, so I may have to find a more economical option. 


We’re still throwing out paint color choices and how we want to do the walls, but here are some options I’m mulling over:

Light stripes (seems like the best option):
Image courtesy of projectnursery.com.

Solid color background with center stripes:
I’m not sure where this image is located, so if it’s yours, please let me know, and I’ll link to you.

Beth has some Dutch Boy: Half Moon Bay that she can bring.  I love, love, love the color, but I’m not sure how it will look with the off-white trim and beige ceilings (yes, our contractors painted our darn ceilings to match the walls). 

 
ETA:  Beth already designed an amazing board for the room!  What do you think?



2) I spent my last day of my holiday break cleaning out the baby room.  That room has worn many feathers since we moved into our house in 2007.  It was first a workout room, then it became a guest room once I got pregnant with Anna, then it was my Piggy’s Place craft room, and now it’s going to be Baby J’s nursery.  I left it a complete and utter mess with my Piggy’s Place stuff, so it took me forever to organize all of my crafts into boxes and put them away in storage.  Now the room is completely empty and just waiting to be painted. 

Still left to do:
1) Paint the nursery
2) Order a dresser for the nursery since Anna is using the one that matches the crib
3) Put the crib together
4) Add other decorative pieces

Some ideas I’m considering:

An alphabet wall

Image courtesy of projectnursery.com

An alphabet tree:
Image courtesy of AirlieCreations on Etsy

This fantastic artwork that my friend Allison said she can make for me (that’s the bedding, by the way):

Not sure where this image is from – please contact me if this is yours, and I’ll link to you. 

I’ll take that lamp, please!

What I’m looking forward to:  Beth and Kent visiting me!  We’re not only going to be doing nursery stuff, by the way.  We’ll head out to NOLA and have some fun (which is all we know how to do when we’re together).

I’m also looking forward to getting a 4D u/s of the baby.  I can’t wait to see him again.
 
What I miss: I keep forgetting that I’m limited while I’m pregnant.  I’m extremely impatient, and I’m married to a wonderful man, but he likes to do things at his own pace.  This is a recipe for disaster when I’m in a gung-ho mood and ready to get things done. So, I take it upon myself to lift things I shouldn’t and over-do it when I absolutely shouldn’t.  So, I miss having the strength and freedom to just get ‘er done. 

Next appointment: January 5th.  I never did get the orange drink for my gestational diabetes test, so I’ll ask for it at my appointment and probably have to go back within a few days for the 1 hour, boring ass test.

4 comments:

Karen said...

26 weeks already! I love all of your nursery ideas! He's a lucky boy!

Caroline said...

We did the light stripes in Henry's room. We actually did the same shade, but one in flat and one in semi-gloss. It worked out really well. I can send you a picture if you want an idea of what it would look like.

OhioFamOf4 said...

I seriously LOVE that wood grain-looking fabric. Not too plain, but still cute and has a boyish look to it. Can't wait to see your finished room!

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! I cannot wait to get to your house and rub that baby belly!!! I'm gonna molest you. Brace yourself, yo.

I also can't wait to get that nursery going for you! So excited!! See you in a few weeks!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP