Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Calling all angels.

My dear, sweet maternal grandmother passed away in April of 2003.  She spent the last 10 years of her life being the main care-giver for my grandfather who lived with Alzheimer's.  As you can imagine, this constant stress took its toll and eventually my grandmother became too tired to go on with her life.

I have a small picture of her that I keep on my desk at home.  It was taken the day I graduated from college, so I'm wearing my collegiate cap and gown and standing next to a grandmother who is beaming with pride.  It's a very special photo to me, and it's also the last photo that I have where we are together and she's still healthy.

The past week or so, I've noticed that Anna has a mild obsession with this picture.  She notices it wherever it is, even if I've moved it to another location.  She will reach for it and carry it around like it's her babydoll - she clutches it tightly to her chest and gets frustrated if you try to take it away from her.

Today I walked out into the living room to check on her while she was watching Yo Gabba Gabba, and I noticed that she set the picture up right next to her little chair bed.  I do believe it is probably one of the most precious things she's done to date, so of course I had to photograph this moment.




































(Please excuse the ragamuffin hair - we're keeping it real!)
You can see the picture frame is setup right next to her little bed.  Oh, and she also has a random Croc of her dads.  I can't really explain that one. 




































It's moments like these that I really miss my grandmother.  I mean, I miss her all the time, but little things happen here and there that just bring me back to a time when she was alive and well.  A time that I wish, more than anything else, Anna could have been a part of.

13 comments:

Lyndsay said...

That is adorable!

Lyndsay said...

Ok, how did you set up your comment section to say "Your comment is delicious??" You are too creative. :)

nbjenni said...

How sweet and special.

Are you going all crazy $1k blogger lady with the mattress on the floor :)

Nicolle said...

What a beautiful post. Mom and me were moved to tears. I wonder if she knows this is her great grandmother, or if she feels maw-maw around. What a special little girl. :)

Courtnie said...

Oh Natalie, that made me tear up. I miss your grandma too! She always treated me as though I was one of her grandchildren.

KellieBelle said...

Sweetest thing ever! You should ask my Mom about Chase and Maw-maw Thelma. He was 6 months when she passed away and he talks about her like he really remembers her, recognizes her in pictures and everything! I know Aunt Marie is smiling done on Baby Anna!!!

Allison aka Half of VAMH said...

:sob

Emma @ Outmumbered said...

It's moments like that that melt your heart isnt it! I'm so sorry your granmother never got to meet Anna, I would give anything to have my grandmother meet my little one too.... I reckon they would get on a treat.

Emma @ Outmumbered said...

p.s. love your blog and the porkchop story!! Following.

Jeremi said...

Really sweet post.

Jill said...

That is so sweet and so special! I love it!

Caroline said...

ugh. anna is so precious. how incredibly sweet!

Unknown said...

Emotions are getting to me, made me cry...I'm sure that Rie-Rie is her Gaurdian Angel. Maybe that's why she likes the picture of my cousins and I...she thinks Cindi is Rie...too cute!

My mom always played piggies with Chase and he still grabs his toes and laughs...we always say Mamaw is playing little piggy...he loves her just like Anna will Love your grandmother because they live on in our HEARTS!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP