Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My baby ate my cell phone.

Being the responsible mother I am, I decided to let my daughter play with my cell phone. You see, she's teething. This means I'm in teething hell. Aside from giving her a dirty dog bone or a porkchop to gnaw on, I'll give her whatever she wants, whatever it will take to make her stop crying. What usually works, you ask? My cell phone. The child is more addicted to my Blackberry than I am - and that's no small feat. She practically came out of my uterus with a briefcase in one hand and a Blackberry in the other - my future lil' business woman.

I digress.

So, to stop the crying, I handed off my cell phone. I figure, she's only 7 months, what can it hurt?

Dumb move.

After playing with my phone for a few minutes, I glanced over at her and noticed that the screen was completely white and the little Days of Our Life hour glass was spinning round and round. I immediately took the phone away and went into panic mode - 1) because I always overreact in every given situation and 2) my cell phone is company issued - how the heck would I explain this one to my boss?

I took out the battery pack and put it back in. I tapped the phone on my desk because we know this always works, right? I tapped the keys, thumped the screen, did everything under the sun to bring this poor phone back to life. Nothing worked.

My heart sank.

How do I 'splain this one?

I messaged my co-worker and told her the news.

Me: "Anna ate my cell phone."

I threw my own child under the bus. What was I supposed to do?

Co-worker: "Anna did what?"

Me: "She ate my cell phone. I gave it to her to play with, and she ate it, and she broke it."

Co-worker: "Huh?"

Me: "I'm an idiot!"

Co-worker: "Yes, you really are."

I'm totally kidding, she didn't say that, but I'm sure she was thinking it.

After troubleshooting a few more minutes, I finally came to terms with the fact that my cell phone was dead, life support wasn't possible, time to bury it and move on.

Then, a spark of life - a white screen.

A few seconds later - the hour glass makes another appearance. It kept spinning and spinning and spinning until suddenly...

...all of my icons came back! The glorious icons that are the crack rocks to my awful addiction.

My God, it's a miracle.

My phone is alive. ALIVE!

9 comments:

Jen said...

omg that is hilarious! I did the same thing and always allowed Alison full access to my blackberry- and of course, this means she has gnawed on it and thrown it/dropped it about 50 times. It is stealth though, it has never failed me thank God!!

Angela said...

LMAO!!! Marty McFly tries to chew on my iPhone. (And do you like how I relate my cat to your actual human baby?! LOL!)

Mandy said...

I've come to realize that baby spit can kill just about any electronic device. :)

Katrina said...

Addison killed my iPhone by the time she was 10 months old! I recently bought a new one and gave her my old one...and now that it's broken it's no good to her...she wants my new one.

Baby Saliva is the devil! LOL

Glad you were able to salvage your phone! ::cringe::

Beth said...

I though G killed my iphone a while back but it came back to life as well!!

I also thought I was going to be sneaky and password protect it so he couldn't get into all my apps, but then he called 911 on the emergency button so I had to remove that little feature.

:sigh

Hamlett Daily Dose said...

OMG, I had the hour glass thing a couple of weeks ago too! (I couldn't blame mine on Mason though, hehe) Turns out that I had a virus - go figure! I'm glad yours came back though.

G+D said...

I love that you threw your own child under the bus, lol! I'm glad it all worked out in the end!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

At least your phone came back! Sarah decided my BBerry was dirty and needed a bath, in the dogs' water bowl! I saw her squatting in front of the bowl and when I went to see what she was looking at, she was poking it under the water. I tried CPR but it didn't work...it was DOA.

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

I love vintage Porkchop! :) Thanks for adding to Whippersnapper Wednesday!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP