Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Friday, June 12, 2009

For Beth.

In my Ask Me Anything post, Beth asked me the following question(s):
If you were dying and were being forced to give all of your possessions away,
down to the last penny, how would you spend it? Take your family out of the
equation. You can't leave anything to them.

Why you gotta make me die, Beth? I'm giving you the side-eye.

Ahem.

Considering that the majority of my possessions are from Wal-Mart, I don't know how far the $150 I could get for my stuff would really take me.

For the sake of this post, I'll pretend that I have things of value. In my pretend world I own two expensive cars, have 5,000 Coach purses and 10,000 pairs of Manolo Blahkaka shoes. So, let's say my net worth is around $400,000k.

Honestly, how I'd spend it isn't funny or witty or zing-y. It's seriously something I've always wished I could do and something I would do if I had the money and resources - I'd donate half of it to Bestfriends.org and the rest to St. Jude's.

Both charities have a special place in my heart.

After Hurricane Katrina, BestFriends was the only animal organization that stuck around until the end. When all of the other charities closed their doors and headed back home, BestFriends was still out in the field rescuing animals and caring for them. They transported the largest percentage of animals back to their ranch in Utah, and they successfully placed many of them in loving homes. The entire time they were here, not once did they toot their own horn or sing their own praises. It's this humility and true love and passion for animals that makes this the #1 animal charity in my book. I will support them 'til the day I die.

Oh, not to mention they rescued the majority of the Michael Vick dogs, but that's another post for another day.

No explanation is necessary for St. Jude's, but I'll throw one out there anyway. A good friend of mine enlisted their help after her precious daughter was diagnosed with Cushing's Syndrome. St. Jude's opened their hearts to her precious daughter and made the family feel welcome and comforted. To give a family hope during such a difficult time in their lives, there are no words.

So, that's what I'd do.

~ If you have much, give of your wealth; If you have little, give of your heart ~
Arab Proverb

3 comments:

Madeline said...

Great choices. Not that I am biased :)

Freckles Chick said...

LMAO @ "Why you gotta make me die, Beth? I'm giving you the side-eye."

Animals and children....the world needs more peeps like you, Nat!

If you ever run for President, you've totally got my vote. =]

Jen E. said...

I too am biased with your choices but I think you are pretty darn amazing! :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP